Friday, December 30, 2011

Eco Friendly Dog Beds - Really worth the cost?



By now you may have done a little shopping around for Eco Friendly Dog Products (Oh yes Heather, we go on HipGreenDogs.com all the time!)  You have probably thought, hey I can do this eco friendly thing, buy a cute dog bed made from recycled materials and organic cottons.  Do my part and give my baby a new bed, sure!  Then you started shopping and perhaps went into sticker shock!  That is what I have heard from some of my customers.  "Why are these eco friendly beds so expensive"? or  "I can go to my local chain store and pick up something for a lot less."  


Well, that is true, you can.  And I completely respect the right of the consumer.  I mean, who doesn't want to save money, or get a good deal - right?  I do.  I clip my coupons, shop the discount stores, wait for things to go on sale, buy the off brands, I GET IT!  And while people love their dogs they are not always willing, or able, to see the benefit of the sometimes higher cost of eco friendly.  Here is why I think spending the extra money on a Eco Friendly Dog bed is totally worth it - ready?  Here we go.
  1. Eco Friendly dog beds, like those made by West Paw Design (one of Conner's favorite companies), are made of high quality materials.  This not only benefits your doggie, but benefits you as well.  Man made substances used in pet bedding are often full of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that can emit toxins for years.  You want a good scare?  Just google VOCs and read about them and everything they are found in - YIKES!  Your pet isn't the only one that will be breathing these orderless fumes.  VOCs in the home can worsen symptoms of asthma, allergies and other breathing problems as well as increase the risk of cancer and other diseases.  I am going to really talk up the beds from West Paw Design.  They are tested for over 100 potentially harmful substances and 100% certified safe.  Sweet dreams to all in the house!  Plus, not being exposed to toxins keeps you and your pup from visiting the doctor, which saves you money on those Vet bills!
  2. Because Eco Friendly dog beds are made with such high quality materials, they out last and out perform the less expensive beds found at chain stores.  Has this ever happened to you?  You purchase a cute bed from the local chain store, take it home, Daisy sleeps on it and before you know it it has flattened like a pancake?  Or faded? Or fallen apart?  It's happened to me.  And let me tell you, Conner was not a happy camper.  Eco Friendly dog beds are going to last longer and guess what?  That SAVES you money!!  Woo-hoo! If the products last longer you spend less replacing it. 
  3. You are helping save the planet.  I know, I know this one is obvious, but it's got to be said (Conner told me so).  When you are buying recycled goods, organic goods, goods that don't emit harmful toxins you are saving this planet.  I don't know about you, but I kinda like this planet.  Beds by West Paw Design (there's that name again) are filled with 100% recycled IntelliLoft.  IntelliLoft is an incredibly intelligent recycled, super soft re-engineered polymer.  It is created from 100% recycled PETE plastic bottles.  It is not only washable, but it washes clean, eliminating those unwanted pet orders.  100% recycled IntelliLoft Fiber Fill, has a thick denier that creates a fluffy, bounce back filling that holds up and gives Fido a comfortable rest night after night - or if he's like Conner, night, after day, after night.
  4. Most Eco Friendly Dog Bed manufactures offer replaceable bed parts.  Hey!  That saves money.  Bell chewed up a corner?  Got stained?  Just finally wore out because your dog never wants to get out of it?  You don't have to replace the entire bed.  West Paw Design (hmmm, were have I heard that name before) offers replaceable bed parts for your convenience.
  5. Proudly made in the USA!!!  I don't about you but I have had about enough of hearing about the things they keep finding in stuff imported to us by China - scary!  I like supporting companies in the US and help create those jobs needed here in the US.  How does this save you money?  We need to do our part to help this economy - the government is not going to be able to fix it all.  Make here, spend here, keep it here - inflation goes down.  (The opinions expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the economy experts and are not meant to offend anyone - besides Conner made me say it).
So, is spending the extra money on a healthy, eco friendly dog bed worth it?  For a healthy dog, clean environment, and eco friendly life style many people think so, including me!  And in the long run, when it helps you and your dogs stay healthy, out lasts and out performs the cheaper versions, wont you have met your goal of actually saving money?  And when Bowzer and Bella are all curled up, snug as a bug in a rug, looks up at you with those sweet, sleepy puppy dog eyes with one ear cocked wrong - you'll know - giving them the best makes it all worth it!!

Oh by the way did I mention you can find the Eco Friendly Dog Beds and Mats by West Paw Design (who??) and others at www.hipgreendogs.com?  You didn't think I forgot the shameless plug now did you :-)  

Stay Hip and Stay Green - woof!




Anybody who does not know what soap tastes like never washed a dog -
 Frankling P Jones

No comments: